Kenya is located in eastern equatorial Africa, and derives its name from stunning Mount Kenya, with 5199 m Africa's second highest mountain. The country's landscape is enormously diverse, ranging from low and humid coastal plains on the Indian Ocean to the temperate central highlands, which in turn are split by the Great Rift Valley. Towards the north-east the climate is extremely hot and arid.
Kenya is a popular hiking destination. There are numerous trails up and around the Mt Kenya massif, a truly alpine environment with glaciers and snow. And there is more. Towards the northeast are the remote Loroghi Hills, west lies the caldera of Mt Elgon with its cave elephants on the border with Uganda. Or venture out to the Cherangani Hills, the Aberdare Range, and homeland of the pastoral Maasai people: the southwestern Loita Hills.
Best time for hiking is during the cool dry months, from June to August, but there are regional differences, and as you go higher up generally the chances of rain (or snow) increase. Trails are not marked, so it is a rule to hire a local guide at all times. Mt. Kenya has mountain huts, and there is lodge accommodation in most national parks, but while trekking be prepared to carry full camping gear and supplies.
- Africa`s Highest Peaks Trekking Map: Kilimanjaro - Mount Kenya - Rwenzori
- Three of Africa’s most popular trekking regions: Kilimanjaro, Mount Kenya and the peaks of the Ruwenzori National Park on a durable, waterproof and tear-resistant map from terraQuest. Each destination is presented on two panels: a general map of the area plus an enlargement of the highest part at 1:50,000.On one side is coverage of Kilimanjaro.... Read more
- Also available from:
- IGN, France
- De Zwerver, Netherlands
- Wandelkaart - trekking map Africa - the highest peaks | Terraquest |
- Gedetailleerde en stevig gelamineerde trekkingkaart / klimkaart met schalen tussen de 1:50.000 en 1:175.000 voor enkele van de belangrijkste bergen in Oost Afrika voor o.a. Mt. Kilimanjaro, Mt. Kenya en de Ruwenzori Mountains in Kenia, Tanzania en Oeganda. Africa: The Highest Peaks - Detailed trekking map of the higest peaks in Africa. There is... Read more
- Ol Donyo Sabuk National Park
- Ol Donyo Sabuk National Park in a series of maps covering Kenya’s national parks and nature reserves with cartography based on the country’s topographic survey. Most titles include additional tourist information, indicating entry gates and orienteering signposts within the parks, lodges and other accommodation facilities, etc. Many maps have... Read more