Tanzania takes pride in its famous snowcapped Mount Kilimanjaro (5896 m), highest summit of Africa. There is a wide choice of hiking trails leading up to the 4000 m high north and south circuit paths around the mountain's main dome Kibo. Three routes lead from there to the Uhuru summit. Climbing Mt. Kilimanjaro is not particularly difficult technically, but can be dangerous due to high altitude and cold.
On Mt Kilimanjaro independent trekking is not permitted, so you will have to join an organized (group or private) trek at all times. There are huts on only one of the routes up Mt Kilimanjaro, the Marangu route, so if you take an alternative route you will camp out.
But hiking Tanzania doesn't stop at Mt. Kilimanjaro. Second in height is Mount Meru (4566 m) an active volcano in nearby Arusha National Park. Independent trekking with guide is a good option here. Other areas for hiking are the Crater Highlands in Ngorongoro Conservation Area (NCA), the isolated Mount Hanang (3417 m), the Usambara Mountains and the densely forested Udzungwa Mountains.
Best time for hiking in Tanzania is during the dry months, from December to February and from June to September. However (heavy) rain can fall throughout the year. Trekking in Tanzania means you must at least hire a local guide and bring camping gear and supplies.
- Classic Safari Camps of Africa
- Classic Safari Camps of Africa was started 11 years ago as an association of independent, privately-operated camps and lodges - each situated in some of the finest and most unusual wildlife destinations in Southern and East Africa. In this spectacular, full-colour coffee table book, author and photographer David Rogers journeys to more than 40... Read more
- Lake Manyara National Park
- Lake Manyara at 1:50,000 on a map from Veronica Roodt Publications presenting the area on a base derived from satellite imagery. Extra panels provide additional information for visitors including over 150 colour photos of fauna and flora.On one side is a map of the area around the western and northern shore of the lake, with an overprint... Read more
- Tarangire National Park
- Tarangire National Park at 1:40,000 on a map from Veronica Roodt Publications presenting the area on a base derived from satellite imagery. Extra panels provide additional information for visitors including an enlargement of the central area.On one side is a map of the whole park showing its network of roads and tracks for viewing animals. A... Read more
- Wandelkaart Lake Manyara - Tanzania | Harms Verlag |
- Toeristische kaart van Lake Manyara in drie talen (Duits, Frans en Engels). Met op de achterkant een schat aan toeristische informatie over het park. Read more