Tanzania takes pride in its famous snowcapped Mount Kilimanjaro (5896 m), highest summit of Africa. There is a wide choice of hiking trails leading up to the 4000 m high north and south circuit paths around the mountain's main dome Kibo. Three routes lead from there to the Uhuru summit. Climbing Mt. Kilimanjaro is not particularly difficult technically, but can be dangerous due to high altitude and cold.
On Mt Kilimanjaro independent trekking is not permitted, so you will have to join an organized (group or private) trek at all times. There are huts on only one of the routes up Mt Kilimanjaro, the Marangu route, so if you take an alternative route you will camp out.
But hiking Tanzania doesn't stop at Mt. Kilimanjaro. Second in height is Mount Meru (4566 m) an active volcano in nearby Arusha National Park. Independent trekking with guide is a good option here. Other areas for hiking are the Crater Highlands in Ngorongoro Conservation Area (NCA), the isolated Mount Hanang (3417 m), the Usambara Mountains and the densely forested Udzungwa Mountains.
Best time for hiking in Tanzania is during the dry months, from December to February and from June to September. However (heavy) rain can fall throughout the year. Trekking in Tanzania means you must at least hire a local guide and bring camping gear and supplies.
- Wandelkaart - trekking map Africa - the highest peaks | Terraquest |
- Gedetailleerde en stevig gelamineerde trekkingkaart / klimkaart met schalen tussen de 1:50.000 en 1:175.000 voor enkele van de belangrijkste bergen in Oost Afrika voor o.a. Mt. Kilimanjaro, Mt. Kenya en de Ruwenzori Mountains in Kenia, Tanzania en Oeganda. Africa: The Highest Peaks - Detailed trekking map of the higest peaks in Africa. There is... Read more
- Also available from:
- IGN, France
- Carte de trekking Afrique, les plus hauts sommets
- Carte de trekking des sommets de l'Afrique, les préférés des passionnés de grandes randonnées : Kilimandjaro (5 895 m), mont Kenya (5 199 m), Margherita (5 109 m) et Meru (4 565 ù). La carte présente des sites au Kenya, en Tanzanie et en Ouganda.Les sites suivants sont inclus dans la carte :les... Read more
- Lake Manyara National Park
- Lake Manyara at 1:50,000 on a map from Veronica Roodt Publications presenting the area on a base derived from satellite imagery. Extra panels provide additional information for visitors including over 150 colour photos of fauna and flora.On one side is a map of the area around the western and northern shore of the lake, with an overprint... Read more
- Tarangire National Park
- Tarangire National Park at 1:40,000 on a map from Veronica Roodt Publications presenting the area on a base derived from satellite imagery. Extra panels provide additional information for visitors including an enlargement of the central area.On one side is a map of the whole park showing its network of roads and tracks for viewing animals. A... Read more
- Wandelkaart Lake Manyara - Tanzania | Harms Verlag |
- Toeristische kaart van Lake Manyara in drie talen (Duits, Frans en Engels). Met op de achterkant een schat aan toeristische informatie over het park. Read more