Afghanistan is surrounded by land on all sides, and a relatively arid and mountainous country, with plains only in the south and northwest. The country is dominated by the mighty Hindu Kush mountain range, which rises up towards the center and the northeast, where it meets the Pamir mountain range. Highest point is Mount Noshaq (7492 m) in the northeast, on the border with Pakistan.
Afghanistan's climate is of a harsh continental kind, scorching hot on the plains in summer, fiercely cold up in the mountains in winter.
At this moment Afghanistan is not a popular hiking destination, for obvious reasons. Yet, in more peaceful times, beautiful and remote mountains and valleys are just waiting to be explored in the Hindu Kush and Pamir ranges. Take for instance the northern province of Badakshan, and the Wakhan Corridor reaching out in the far northeast along the ancient Silk Route, touching on China. Take a look at the excellent website Juldu.com (see under facts) and dream away. But don't be mistaken: hiking here is for the hardy and experienced only.
- Simple Gestures
- The Greater Middle East poses major challenges for the United States. Yet despite decades of intense involvement in Middle Eastern affairs, most Americans still know little about the cultures of the region. ”Simple Gestures” describes one American`s efforts over forty years to better understand the society in the countries where she lived and... Read more
- Caravan Journeys and Wanderings in Persia, Afghanistan, Turkistan, and Beloochistan
- With Historical Notices of the Countries Lying Between Russia and India. ... Translated from the Original Unpublished [French] Manuscript by ... W. Jesse. Read more
- Afghanistan - Kabul & 5 Cities Street Plans Gizi Map
- Afghanistan at 1:2,000,000 on an indexed map from Gizi Map, with on the reverse large street plans of Kabul with an enlargement showing its central are in greater detail, plus Kandahar, Herat, Jalalabad, Kunduz and Mazar-e Sharif.On one side is a map of Afghanistan and the whole of Pakistan at 1:2,000,000. Bold altitude colouring clearly shows... Read more
- Afghanistan - Kabul & 5 Cities Street Plans Gizi Wall Map
- Afghanistan at 1:2,000,000 on a wall map, size 88 x 95cm (35” x 37” approx) – paper version, from Gizi Map, with on the reverse large street plans of Kabul with an enlargement showing its central are in greater detail, plus Kandahar, Herat, Jalalabad, Kunduz and Mazar-e Sharif.On one side is a map of Afghanistan and the whole of Pakistan at... Read more