Right in the southeastern corner of the Arabian Peninsula, facing the Gulf of Oman in the north and the Arabian Sea towards the southeast, lies the Sultanate of Oman. The interior of Oman is largely arid and rocky desert country, with mountainous terrain in the north and the southeast.
Most prominent are the Al Hajar Mountains stretching out across the north of Oman. Here you will find the highest mountains in the East Arabian region, and Oman's highest peak Jabal Shams (2980 m). There are wonderful hiking possibilities in both the Eastern and Western Hajar Mountains, in the high Jabal Al Akhdar range and along the rim of Jabal Shams. Some parts are pretty rough going, passing along deep canyons and gorges. Other trails connect remote and beautiful wadi's (oases).
An interesting option is hiking (and bird watching) on the remote Musandam Peninsula, a rugged mountainous enclave of Oman in the United Arab Emirates (UAE) near Dubai, on the tip of the Arabian Peninsula.
Apart from the mountains, you can set out to explore the desert with camels, for instance in the Wahiba Sands south of the capital Muscat.
When visiting Oman, and for hiking in particular, avoid the extremely hot months of June, July and August.
- Dubai - United Arab Emitares & Oman ITMB Map
- Double-sided map from the ITMB presenting on one side a street plan of Dubai at 1:15,000 and on the reverse a road map at 1:1,400,000 covering the United Arab Emirates with Oman, with street plans of central Muscat and Salalah. All place names on both sides of the map are in the Latin alphabet only.On one side is a clearly presented street plan... Read more
- Dubai Street Atlas
- Dubai Street Atlas from the locally-based Explorer Publishing in an A5 spiral-bound format, highlighting locations of hotels, various places of interest and institutions, all listed in an extensive 123-page index, with an additional directory of recommended facilities, etc. All place names are in the Latin alphabet and in English.The atlas... Read more
- Dubai Insight Flexi Pocket Map
- Dubai on an Insight Flexi Pocket Map in their new format introduced to provide more convenient access to the special features of this series: various additional maps and/or street plans plus tourist information including a list of must-see sights. The map is tear-resistant, waterproof, and can be written on with non-permanent marker pens. On... Read more