The smallest and most northerly of the Baltic states, Estonia is a low flat country bordering on the Baltic Sea and the Gulf of Finland. It has countless lakes and islands, forests, rivers, bogs, and a very long coastline. The highest point is only just over 300m. Capital is the medieval Hanseatic town of Tallinn. Summer is the best time for hiking, with long hours of daylight. Although weather is changeable, summer temperatures are warm. Estonian winters bring lots of snow, short days and freezing temperatures.
Estonia has several beautiful nature reserves such as Lahemaa National Park up north, and Soomaa National Park near Pärnu, all teeming with wildlife and bird species which have become rare in other parts of Europe. The parks offer numerous marked hiking trails, though most are day hikes. The Estonian section of European long distance hiking trail E9 is planned to run from Ikla on the border with Latvia, mostly along the coastline to Narva-Jõesuu the Russian border in the far northeast. It is still under construction, but several sections have been opened. Local information on hiking trails is mostly in Estonian. It is a good idea to bring your tent, and mosquito repellant.
- Iron Curtain Cycle Route Part 1: Barents Sea to the Polish/German Border (3500km) Bikeline Map/Guide ENGLISH Ed.
- Iron Curtain Cycle Trail Part 1, a 3500-km long northern section from the Barents Sea to the Polish/German border, in an English language guide from Verlag Esterbauer with mapping highlighting the route and its variants and extensive information conveyed by symbols indicating road surface, campsites and other accommodation, repair workshops,... Read more
- Baltic Coast Cycle Route: Riga - Tallinn (783km) Bikeline Map/Guide
- A 783-km long section of the Baltic Coast Cycle Route from Jürmala and Riga Latvia to Tallinn in Estonia, including a circuit of Saaremaa Island and a section on Hiiumaa Island, presented by the Verlag Esterbauer in a German language guide with maps at 1:75,000 showing the route and its variants. Extensive information is conveyed by symbols,... Read more
- Estonia - Latvia - Lithuania
- Baltic States: Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania at 1:1,200,000 on an overview road map from the Tallinn based Regio, highlighting locations of petrol stations run by Statoil, with on the reverse enlargement of the three capitals.On one side is a road map of the three countries at 1:1,200,000 designed to show the network of principal and secondary... Read more
- Estland - natuurreis
- Natuurreis naar Estland, de kleinste en welvarendste van de Baltische staten. Vanuit uitstekende hotels en guesthouses verken je dit land met veel beschermd natuurschoon in grote en kleine reservaten. We verkennen de Baltische kust met zijn vogelrijkdom van de baai van Matsalu en reizen per boot naar het kleine eiland Osmussaare. Tijdens een... Read more