Among the gems of Poland are the primeval forests in the north, on the border with Belarus. Wherever there is nature, the Polish establish a national park or nature reserve. For those interested in forests and lakes, there are Bialowieza or Drawienski. But there is more to be explored: marshes, limestone formations, cliffs on the Baltic coast and true mountains. Everyone knows the Tatras, a mountain range on the border with Slowakia, which has Polands highest mountain Rysy (just under 2500m).
How wonderful it must be to explore this country on foot. Good news: Poland has a fantastic system of hiking trails. As proverbial worker bees of Europe the Polish took up the task in a serious way. Believe it or not, there are 45000km of marked hiking trails. A coloured strip between two white bars is the characteristic waymark.
The paths form a maze of colourfully marked trails. Most do not carry a name, but are known by the names of their starting and ending points in combination with a particular colour, which is also indicated on the map. So forget about trails with magical names, and keep in mind that the majority of trails only last 10 to 50km. As a foreigner your best strategy is to set your mind to a specific region or biotope, buy the maps thereof, put on your backpack with camping gear, and set out to explore and enjoy.
All is well organised by the Polish Tourist Association, the PKKT. Their website gives you all you need, if you read Polish that is... PKKT owns 179 mountain huts in the most popular hiking areas.
Winters are cold and summers are hot in Poland. Summer is the best time for the High Tatra mountains, although dry days are few. Lowland areas are best in spring.
- pc22 September 2010
- Rate 7
- Wandelgids Masuren - Masurische meren | Rother verlag |
- Uitstekende wandelgids met 50 dagtochten. Met praktische informatie en beperkt kaartmateriaal! Wandelingen in verschillende zwaarte weergegeven in rood/blauw/zwart. Deze wandelgidsen uitgever staat hoog aangeschreven en is een begrip onder de wandelaars! > Die bezaubernden Hügel- und Seenlandschaften in Polens Nordosten werden ein immer... Read more
- Wandelgids - Trekking gids The High Tatras - Hoge Tatra | Cicerone |
- The sight of the craggy peaks of the High Tatras mountains straddling the Poland-Slovakia border is unforgettable, beautiful and dramatic. With a dusting of snow and a swirl of mist, they assume the ghostly appearance of a phantom army. As well as the High Tatras, the second edition of this book also covers the neighbouring but contrasting... Read more
- Also available from:
- Cicerone Press , United Kingdom
- The Book Depository, United Kingdom
- The High Tatras
- A handy guidebook describing walks and scrambles in the High Tatras mountains. The beautiful craggy peaks of the High Tatras straddle the border between Poland and Slovakia, offering totally different experiences. The walks are widely varied ranging from easy to strenuous. The White Tatras, Slovakia and Western Tatras, Poland are also covered. Read more
- Wandelgids Tatra - Landscapes of the Tatra Mountains (Polen en Slowakije) | Sunflower |
- Wandelgids: vele dagtochten worden degelijk beschreven met openbaar vervoer informatie, goede routebeschrijvingen en kaartmateriaal. Tevens enkele autotochten. (Engelstalig) Walking and car touring in Poland and Slovakia. This second edition of our trans-national guide explores two outstanding national parks in southernmost Poland: Pieniny and... Read more
- Wandelkaart Kaszuby | Express Map |
- > Mooi uitgevoerde geplastificeerde wandel- en/of fietskaart. Handig zowel voor voetgangers en fietsers, de schaal is 1:50 000 met wandel-en fietspaden en natuurpaden met de afstand op de paden met musea, monumenten en andere interessante plaatsen met parken, natuurreservaten & natuurlijke attracties> Read more
- The Michelin National road map of Poland at 1:700,000 scale is ideal for route planning. The map gives comprehensive coverage of national road networks showing all major motorways, dual carriageways, national & regional main roads and some single-lane roads.Distances between major locations are marked along roads, with total distance and... Read more
- Poland North West
- North-western Poland in a series of large, detailed roads map with an index, street plans of main cities and stickers to highlight on the maps your selected locations. A fold-out flap in the jacket shows an overview of the whole area covered by the map plus the adjoining regions and highlights main places of interest, with the grid reference... Read more
- Poland North East
- North-eastern Poland in a series of large, detailed roads map with an index, street plans of main cities and stickers to highlight on the maps your selected locations. A fold-out flap in the jacket shows an overview of the whole area covered by the map plus the adjoining regions and highlights main places of interest, with the grid reference... Read more
- Poland South West
- South-western Poland in a series of large, detailed roads map with an index, street plans of main cities and stickers to highlight on the maps your selected locations. A fold-out flap in the jacket shows an overview of the whole area covered by the map plus the adjoining regions and highlights main places of interest, with the grid reference... Read more
- Iron Curtain Cycle Route Part 1: Barents Sea to the Polish/German Border (3500km) ENGLISH EDITION
- Iron Curtain Cycle Trail Part 1, a 3500-km long northern section from the Barents Sea to the Polish/German border, in an English language guide from Verlag Esterbauer with mapping highlighting the route and its variants and extensive information conveyed by symbols indicating road surface, campsites and other accommodation, repair workshops,... Read more
- Wandelkaart Sudety Srodkowe 1:60 000 mapa turystyczna | ExpressMap |
- Geplastificeerde wandelkaart van een deel van Sudetenland, grenzend aan het Reuzengebergte. Met ingetekende wandelroutes. > Sudety Srodkowe > Laminierte, touristische Karte von Mittelsudeten > Polnische Ausgabe > > - umfangreiche touristische Informationen > - Lehrpfade, Wander-, Spazier- und Fahrradwege > - Jugendherbergen, Camping-... Read more
- Karkonosze Mountains in Poland and the Czech Republic on a detailed hiking map at 1:50,000 from EKO-GRAF, with on the reverse on overview map of hiking trails with timings, seven street plans and a sightseeing map of the region highlighting locations of palaces and other historic buildings in Poland.On one side is a detailed map at 1:50,000... Read more