- Length of trail 120 km, 75 miles
- Length in days 8 days
- Start of trail Ceillac
- End of trail Ceillac
- Traildino grading SW, Strenuous walk, mountain trail
- Hut tour grading T2, Mountain walk
The GR58 is a rewarding but also strenuous hike. Not difficult, technically, but for sure you will need your perseverance and muscles. The mountains of the Queyras get less rain than the popular Écrins in the west. You will climb high, a handful of passes go over 2.800 m, one is even over 3.000 m. Highlight is the view on the Monte Viso on the Italian side, best visible if you take the GR58C variant. And you will probably like the Italian side better, because it is more pastoral. Take for granted tingling names as Col Fromage and Col d'Urine.
Let's do a coarse comparison to the popular Tour du Mont Blanc: the Tour du Queyras is probably more scenic and gets much less visitors. Count your blessings. I would hike both.
- Henk Nouws July 1997
- Rate 8
- Positive The crossing of the Italian part was the best. Great valleys. One of my favorite trails in the Alps.
- Negative Overgrazing. Some villages were ugly.