Located on the west coast of South America, facing the Pacific Ocean lies Peru. Dominant feature is the Andes mountain range, running parallel to the coast, in a roughly north-south direction. Geographically, Peru can be divided in three: a narrow coastal strip in the west, a vast area of Amazon tropical rainforest in the east and northeast, and in between the highlands of the Andes with its Altiplano, glaciers, lakes, remote valleys and snowy peaks including Peru's highest: Huascaran (6768 m).
Peru's most famous and popular hiking trail is the 4-day Inca Trail from Chillca to Machu Picchu. So popular in fact, that the government has put a limit to the number of travelers allowed on the trail each day, so you need to book through a licensed touroperator months in advance to get a permit, guide, porters etc. Yet, it remains a beautiful trail through stunning high altitude scenery, past Inca monuments and ruins, culminating in the final destination of ancient Machu Picchu.
Trying to avoid the crowds, a number of alternative trails to Machu Picchu have emerged. There is the Salkantay trail, 5 days and slightly more demanding. Another option is the more strenuous 8-day trail from Cachora via Choquequirao to Machu Picchu. Whichever trail you choose, the city of Cusco is your central starting point, home base of most local operators, and the place to acclimatize to high altitude for a day or two before setting out. Some other treks in the Cusco and Machu Picchu area are the Lares Valley trek, the Vilcabamba trek, the Ancascocha trek, the Huchuy Qosqo trek, and the Ausangate circular trek.
But Peru has more to offer. Another wonderful area for hiking are the Cordillera Blanca of Huaraz, further north. Most popular here is the 5-day Santa Cruz trek, and there is the more strenuous 12-day Alpamayo trek. In the same area you will find the Cordillera Huayhuash trek. Another possibility is the region around Arequipa, featuring the volcano El Misti (5830 m) and the Colca Canyon.
Long distance hiking in Peru means camping en route, and high altitudes to which you need to acclimatize for a few days before setting out.
- Wandelgids Peru - Hiking and Biking Peru´s Inca Trails | Cicerone | William Janecek
- > The eastern slope of the Peruvian Andes is one of the most dramatic and diverse places on the planet, dropping from over 6000m (20,000ft) to just 200m above sea level. This dramatic drop in elevation produces a wide range of constantly changing climactic and vegetative zones – it is often possible to hike from the base of a glacier down to... Read more
- Also available from:
- The Book Depository, United Kingdom
- Wandelgids Peru | Rother verlag | Oskar E. Busch
- Uitstekende wandelgids met een groot aantal dagtochten in dal en hooggebergte. Met praktische informatie en beperkt kaartmateriaal! Wandelingen in verschillende zwaarte weergegeven in rood/blauw/zwart. 62 Höhenprofile, 62 Wanderkärtchen im Maßstab 1:25.000 bis 1:200.000, zwei Übersichtskarten > Kaum ein anderes lateinamerikanisches Land... Read more
- Wandelgids Peru Trekkingführer | Rother | Oskar E. Busch
- Peru, dessen Landschaft zu den wildesten Schönheiten der ganzen Erde zählt, wurde zu Beginn der 90er Jahre arg gebeutelt: Cholera und bürgerkriegsähnliche Zustände ließen den Fremdenverkehr des in den 80er Jahren zum Tourismusmagneten avancierenden Landes nahezu an den Nullpunkt sinken. Mittlerweile konnte die Krankheit erfolgreich bekämpft,... Read more
- Trekking in Peru: 50 of the Best Walks and Hikes
- This is the most comprehensive, user-friendly trekking guide to Peru available. Peru's mountains offer the most varied and dramatic treks in South America with the added attraction of Pre-Columbian ruins along the way. Celebrating 40 years of Bradt, this unique guidebook is based on the Peru section of the very first Bradt guide. All the... Read more
- Wandelkaart 0/3c Cordillera Huayhuash (Peru) | Alpenvereinskarte |
- Zeer gedetailleerde kaarten: wandelroutes hebben naar gelang de zwaarte onderscheidende markeringen, gletsjerpassen staan aangegeven en de verschillende soorten hutten zijn ingetekend. De grondlaag van deze kaarten wordt gevormd Read more
- Peru & Bolivia; follow in the footsteps of butch cassidy and the sundance kid!
- Rugged mountains and awe-inspiring volcanoes, remnants of ancient civilizations and colourful indigenous people characterize this spectacular journey. Join Shoestring and travel along the vast salt plains of Salar de Uyuni. You can visit the ruins of the legendary lost city of the Incas, Machu Picchu. There is still much more to discover on our... Read more
- Peru in 2 weeks; A land of panoramic views
- In Peru there is culture aplenty : the many relics from the Inca time such as the world famous Inca city of Machu Picchu and the Spanish Colonial architecture in Arequipa, Puno and Cuzco. In terms of nature, the country is as just as diverse: the Andes climb to more than 6000 meters high, there are snowy mountains and volcanoes, the beautiful... Read more