- Name Berliner HÃ¶henweg
- Length of trail 82 km, 51 miles
- Length in days 6 days
- Start of trail Finkenberg
- End of trail Mayrhofen
- Traildino grading DW, Difficult walk, bushwalk
- Hut tour grading T3, Demanding mountain walk
The Berliner Höhenweg is a six day Alpine trek in Zillertal. Start and finish – Finkenberg and Mayrhofen – are very near to each other, so the hike is almost a circle. The trail connects seven mountain huts at heights between 1900 and 2500 m. Technically spoken the trail is a trail, not a climb, though there are quite a few sections secured with rope and steps. No glacier crossings are involved. Slopes can be steep. In terms of strength and physical condition the path is challenging.
The first day (Gamshütte to Friesenberghaus) is a strenuous 9 hours walk. The second day to the Furtschagl Haus is an easy 7 hours walk. The splendid third day from the Furtschagl Haus to the monumental Berliner Hütte tops the Schönbichler Horn (3134 m) where you should feel comfortable in steep rocky terrain. This section is as busy as it is beautiful and you might find yourself in a deadlock with other walkers going up and down. On the fourth day to the Greizer Hütte you will pass the Schwarzsee where you can have a refreshing swim. This day, as the previous, counts 6 hours on foot. The fifth day to the Kasseler Hütte is another 6 hours including the crossing of the Lapenscharte (2701 m). The last day finally is a hard and long walk, crossing 7 ridges. 75% of this final 14 km leads through and over a horrible rumble of big boulders. You will get finished off this day with 8-10 hours ahead. This route is slippery when wet, so it's not wise to venture out in rain. This day will end in the Karl von Edel-Hütte from where a path zigzags down through the forest to Mayrhofen; or take the Ahorn Seilbahn.
Since this tour is very popular, you will meet lots of other hikers to share your joys. Especially the second part of July and first part of August are busy: book the huts well in advance. In June and early July you may need equipment to safely pass snow fields.
Finishing this Höhenweg / high altitude trail - with some good luck - is a real accomplishment and you may regard yourself the hardy walker you always wanted to be.
- Henk Nouws August 2015
- Rate 8
- Positive Spectacular views, no dull moments, very good huts (historic Berliner HÃ¼tte). The swim in the Schwarzsee. The path is a challenge, not for its difficulty, but because days are very long and climbs are strenuous. It is still a walk, not a climb.
- Negative Very busy sometimes. I estimate we were 100+ people scrambling up and down the SchÃ¶nbichler Horn! Reservation of huts well before you plan your walk is necessary.
- Trekking in the Zillertal Alps
- Guidebook to trekking the Zillertal Rucksack Route (or Berliner Hoehen Weg) and the Zillertal South Tyrol Tour in the Austrian Tyrol. The ZRR avoids glaciers and difficult passes so is suitable for inexperienced trekkers, while the ZSTT traverses the range along the Austro-Italian border. Each takes 8-10 days and has excellent Alpine huts on route. Read more
- Also available from:
- Stanfords, United Kingdom
- The Book Depository, United Kingdom
- De Zwerver, Netherlands
- Zillertal Alps: Trekking and Peaks in the Austrian Tyrol and Italian South Tyrol
- Trekking in the Zillertal Alps guide from Cicerone Press with two multi-day, hut-to-hut hiking routes presented with detailed descriptions and accompanied by sketch maps and profiles, plus a hut directory, etc. The two routes covered by the guide are:- Zillertal Rucksack Route (Berliner Hohenweg): a circular tour from Mayrhofen which links... Read more
- Trekking in the Zillertal Alps
- Guidebook to trekking the Zillertal Rucksack Route (or Berliner Hoehen Weg) and the Zillertal South Tyrol Tour in the Austrian Tyrol. The ZRR avoids glaciers and difficult passes so is suitable for inexperienced trekkers. The ZSTT traverses the whole range along the Austro-Italian border. Each takes 8-10 days and has excellent Alpine huts on route. Read more
- Wandelgids Trekking in the Zillertal Alps - Zillertaler Alpen | Cicerone
- Uitstekende wandelgids die in etappes de route nauwkeurig beschrijft; ook de zijtakken en alternatieve routes koman aan bod. Kaarten zijn schetsmatig en in onze ogen onvoldoende bij slechte weersomstandigheden. Wij raden dan ook om er losse kaarten bij te kopen. Guidebook to trekking the Zillertal Rucksack Route, which traverses the very best... Read more
- Wandelgids Hüttentrekking Ostalpen 32 Mehrtagestouren von Hütte zu Hütte | Rother
- Gibt es etwas Schöneres; als den Alltag hinter sich zu lassen, weit weg von der Hektik und dem Lärm der Täler tagelang in unberührter Natur unterwegs zu sein und dabei die ständig wechselnden Landschaftseindrücke zu genießen? An nichts denken zu müssen; als an den nächsten Schritt, nur den Weg vor Augen, und am Abend dann in einer gemütlichen... Read more