- Name Gailtaler HÃ¶henweg (229)
- Length of trail 150 km, 93 miles
- Length in days 10 days
- Start of trail Marchgraben
- End of trail Villach / Spittal an der Drau
- Traildino grading SW, Strenuous walk, mountain trail
- Hut tour grading T2, Mountain walk
Gailtaler Höhenweg, Marchgraben – Villach (southern variant) / Spittal an der Drau (northern variant), 90 km (150 km including the part in the Lienzer Dolomiten)
This high route runs more or less parallel to the Karnischer Höhenweg, but on the northern side. This is the Gailtaler Alps here, starting in the west with the dramatic Lienzer Dolomites, and running eastward till Villach.
The western part of the Gailtaler Höhenweg stays high up in the mountains, between 2.000 and 2.300 m, and lives up its name. The eastern part drops into a few valleys and is less frequented. One has the choice of either heading north towards Spittal, or south towards Villach.
In terms of technique, the trail is easy. You just need a good body and health.