- Name Südalpenweg - 3 (WWW03)
- Length of trail 513 km, 319 miles
- Length in days 34 days
- Start of trail Bad Radkersburg
- End of trail Bozen / Bolzano
- Traildino grading SW, Strenuous walk, mountain trail
- Hut tour grading T2, Mountain walk
Südalpenweg, Weitwanderweg 3, Bad Radkersburg – Bozen / Bolzano, 513 km
The Südalpenweg is the southernmost of the four East-West Weitwanderwege (Voralpenweg, Nordalpenweg, Zentralalpenweg, Südalpenweg). For those who love wide views, this trail is a good choice.
This long distance trail begins at the border with Hungary, Bad Radkersburg, and the first days you will follow the Mur River upstream through the vineyards of Styria. The following stages are tough: the Karawanken on the border with Slovenia. Where the Italian border starts, the Karnischer Alps begin, and here we follow the Karnischer Höhenweg. This trail brings us till Silian, from where the last long stage (with variant) starts, leading us through the Dolomites of South Tyrol to Bolzano or Bozen.
The trip through the Karnischer Alps runs high up, on the border between Italy and Austria, with plenty of views to the Dolomites in the south and the Hohe Tauern in the far north. This part of the tour is the most strenuous. But it is never really difficult. For experienced hikers, this journey offers no problems.
The Südalpenweg runs partly along the Via Alpina, the E10 and Karnischer mountain trail.
- Also available from:
- De Zwerver, Netherlands
- Wandelgids Trekking the Karnischer Höhenweg | Cicerone
- English-language guidebook to the Karnischer Höhenweg, a 206km waymarked hut-to-hut trek along the border between Italy and Austria. Also known as the Carnic Peace Trail, it runs west to east along the Ridge of the Carnic Alps, the site of the WW1 front line. With information on planning your trip, accommodation and the history of the area. Read more