- Name GTJ - Grande Traversée du Jura (GTJ)
- Length of trail 420 km, 261 miles
- Length in days 21 days
- Start of trail Mandeure
- End of trail Culoz
- Traildino grading MW, Moderate walk, backpacking trail
- Hut tour grading T1, Walk
Traverse of the French Jura, 400 km, 2-3 weeks
It is always a good idea to group the sometimes rather aimless GR's around a theme. People get a clearer picture of what the trail is about. So are the Grandes Traversées du Jura, plural, because the creators had many groups of interest in mind: hikers, bikers and skiers.
The hiking trail - Grande Traversée du Jura - is made up of the GR9, the GR5 and some local routes. The conception dates back to 2004, pretty recent. The trail goes through many of the best parts of the majestic hills or mountains, the dark forests, the valley of river Doubs.
- Henk Nouws October 1999
- Rate 7
- Positive Walked the GR5 part.
- Negative Roads.
- GTJ/GR5/GR9: La Grande Travesée du Jura FFRP Topo-guide No. 512
- La Grande Travesée du Jura, FFRP topoguide Ref. no. 512, covering the GTJ along the Jura Mountains in France from Nommay to Culoz, plus several variants off the main route including parts of the GR5 and GR9 – in all 509kms of hiking trails. Current edition of this title was published in March 2014.ABOUT THE FFRP (Fédération française de la... Read more
- Also available from:
- IGN, France