- Name FimmvÃ¶rÃ°uhÃ¡ls
- Length of trail 20 km, 12 miles
- Length in days 2 days
- Start of trail SkÃ³gar
- End of trail ÃžÃ³rsmÃ¶rk
- Traildino grading EW, Easy walk, nature trail
The popular Laugavegur path ends (or starts) in Þórsmörk. There is an option of continuing from there to the village of Skógar on the south coast. A cabin, Fimmvörðuháls, divides this marked trail into a two-day hike.
In spring of 2010, the volcano beneath the Eyjafjallajökull glacier erupted. You will probably have noted this ;-) This eruption took place right next to the footpath. The whole area was closed for several months, but already in the summer of 2010, the trail was reopened. The actual path to Skógar had been buried under ashes and lava. They restored everything, life turned normal again, and you can have a splendid walk alongside a sleeping monster.
According to experts, there is also a chance that the nearby volcano Katla, asleep beneath the even larger glacier Mýrdalsjökull, will soon burst. If so, this will be a major catastrophe, worse than the 2010 eruption.
- dirkpieter June 2017
- Rate 10
- Positive Great and quite tough hike in a lot of snow (- early season), with great views and superb waterfalls!!
- Negative The wind was stormlike (sometimes dangerous) but the landscape was nevertheless great!!
- Wandelgids Trekking Klassiker Island - IJsland Laugavegur, Fimmvörduhals, Kjalvegur, Jökulsargljufur und Öskjuvegur | Conrad Stein Verlag
- Die fünf vorgestellten Routen haben sich als Islands Klassiker etabliert. Der Laugavegur (53 km), der bekannteste Trek Islands, führt von der Hochlandoase Landmannalaugar durch bunte Rhyolithberge und karge Sand- und Lavawüsten in vier Tagesetappen nach Þórsmörk. Tiefe Schluchten, rauschende Wasserfälle und glitzernde Eiszungen prägen die... Read more
- Also available from:
- Bol.com, Netherlands