- Name Veluwe Zwerfpad (SP16)
- Length of trail 357 km, 222 miles
- Length in days 18 days
- Start of trail Arnhem
- End of trail Arnhem
- Traildino grading LW, Light walk, countryside walk
SP16, Veluwe Zwerfpad, circular walk starting and ending in Arnhem, 357 km
The Veluwe is the attractive and varied wooded centre of the Netherlands. The Veluwe Zwerpad winds hundreds of kilometers through this area.
It is amazing to walk through these extensive and dense forests and to realise that a hundred years ago this area was a bare, undulating plain. The locals used the poor sandy soils as common grounds, a system that existed throughout Europe.
In the 19th century, these Commons were prohibited by law, and the lands were transferred to private ownership. In the Netherlands, the state appropriated the lands. The whole area was planted with pine and spruce, used for the mines in the south of the country. Areas with richer boulder clay soils were also planted with beech and oak.
Many of these forests were never cut. Nowadays it is a fantastic succession of versatile forests, fields and history. Early in the morning, walkers may see a lot of wildlife: deer, foxes, wild boars, pine martens, and many species of birds. The downside is that the area can be busy with day trippers and holidaymakers. Plan your walk on quiet days.
The walk is marked yellow-red. And there is a guide with maps available.
- Wandelgids S16 Streekpad Veluwe Zwerfpad | Wandelnet
- Routegids met gedetailleerde topografische kaarten waar de route duidelijk op ingetekend is. Daarnaast alle noodzakelijke informatie als openbaar vervoer en overnachtingsadressen. Met de knooppuntenstructuur van dit streekpad zijn er tal van mogelijkheden voor meerdaagse en weekend rondwandelingen. Traject : Veluwe / Lengte : 375 km. Het Veluwe... Read more