- Length of trail 1,014 km, 630 miles
- Length in days 50 days
- End of trail Mariazell
- Traildino grading MW, Moderate walk, backpacking trail
- Hut tour grading T1, Walk
Mariazeller Wege, 1014 km, Weitwanderweg 6
Mariazell is a traditional pilgrimage destination in Austria. Different century old routes radiate from this village to the corners of Austria and even beyond. So, long distance trail 6 is not one long trail, but consists of many shorter ones, clockwise:
- Salzburger Mariazellerweg, 310 km
- Oberösterreichischer Mariazellerweg, starting in Linz, 175 km
- Niederösterreichischer Mariazellerweg, starting in Nebelstein, 255 km
- Wiener Mariazellerweg, starting in Wien, 125 km
- Burgenländischer Mariazellerweg, starting in Eisenstadt, 145 km
- Steirischer Mariazellerweg, starting in Eibiswald and alternatives from Voaru Stift and Pöllauberg, 215 km
- Kärntner Mariazellerweg, starting in Klagenfurt till Eibiswald, 135 km, continuing as Steirischer Mariazellerweg to Mariazell
The tracks and small roads do not venture out into high Alpine lands. Even so, they do pass along many pilgrimage sites in mountain villages and on mountain passes. These trails combine elements of religiosity and history with pastoral country.
You will find more pilgrimage roads in Austria. Like the Via Sacra, a alternative to the Wiener Mariazellerweg, starting in Bratislava and leading to Mariazell. Then there also is the Gründerweg, starting in St. Lambrecht and leading to Mariazell.