- Name Hokkaido Nature Trail
- Length of trail 4,585 km, 2,849 miles
- Length in days 230 days
- Traildino grading MW, Moderate walk, backpacking trail
- Hut tour grading T1, Walk
When the Nature Trails were set out in 1970 by the government, the Hokkaido Trail was not one of them. Only in 2003 the plans for one of the longest nature trails was approved. And currently it is still under construction.
Hokkaido is the northern island, about the size of Austria, relatively sparse populated (5,6 million), mountainous, with active volcanism. Moreover summers are cool, making it a better place for walking than other parts of Japan. Winter however is long and cold, so your hiking plans should point south then.
The trail explores many characteristics of the island, flatlands as well as mountains.
- han 2013-06-23 15:34:00
Has the Hokkaido Nature Trail been done in 2012?
- I want to konw if the Hokkaido Nature Trail has been completed in 2012.Thank you.