Located between Taiwan in the north and Borneo in the southwest, the tropical island nation of the Philippines marks the eastern edge of Southeast Asia, and consists of over 7000 mostly mountainous islands of volcanic origin. There are several major active volcanoes scattered across the archipelago, such as Mount Pinatubo, Mount Mayon, Mount Canlaon, Mount Ragang and Taal Volcano. Climate in the Philippines is hot and humid with frequent (about 20 per year) typhoons, especially during the summer monsoon which lasts from April till October. As a result the islands are all lush and green, and the remote mountain areas are covered in tropical rainforest, and pine forests and grasslands higher up.
Hiking, trekking and climbing are a popular passtime in the Philippines, especially among students, and the number of local mountaineering and outdoor clubs scattered across the Philippines is astounding.
Top region for hiking and trekking, and accessible by road from Manila, are the Cordillera mountain range in the north of Luzon island. Here you can climb trails and traverses to some of the highest mountains in the Philippines, such as Mt. Pulag, Mt. Timbak and Mt. Tabayoc. The Cordilleras are also home to a variety of indigenous hill tribes which you are sure to meet when trekking. Most famous are the Ifugao and their rice terraces, but there are many other tribes like Ibaloi and Kankaney.
A bit further east on Luzon are the Sierra Madre mountain range and Cagayan Valley, which appear to be largely unexplored by hikers. At the far southern end of the Sierra Madre range, in the region of Tagalog, is the Quezon National Forest Park. It is popular as a weekend break from Manila, with trails to caves and waterfalls. If you are in for volcanic landscapes, go hiking in Central Luzon and particularly to the crater of the recently (1991) erupted Mount Pinatubo. Or venture out to the region of Bicol in the far southeast of Luzon, to follow trails through tropical rainforests up the beautiful Mayon and Isarog volcanoes, and the restless Bulusan volcano.
Traveling south from Luzon are a group of islands called the Visayas, which form the central part of the Philippines. There are some truly challenging mountain hikes on the islands of Negros and Panay, countryside hikes on Leyte, and treks through the forests of Biliran.
Last but not least there is the large and mountainous southern island of Mindanao, home to the highest mountain in the Philippines: Mount Apo (2954 m). In spite of the somewhat instable political situation in some parts of Mindanao, it is a popular climbing destination. There are several hiking trails leading up Mount Apo, which is a sacred ancestral abode for a variety of indigenous tribes. Other mountain ranges on Mindanao include Kitanglad in the north, with its pristine tropical forests and some of the highest mountains in the Philippines. Mount Candalaga (2402 m) and Mount Pandadagsaan (2670 m) in the Davao region, offering some pretty challenging climbs from Compostela Valley. Or the remote Mount Hamiguitan on the southeastern tip of Mindanao, with its unique pygmy forest.
When hiking in the mountains of the Philippines it is common, and in some cases compulsory, to register before setting off, and to hire a local guide. Particularly on Mindanao. Check-out the wonderful website of Pinoy Mountaineer (see below).
- Also available from:
- Bol.com, Netherlands
- Reisgids Philippines - Filipijnen | Insight Guides
- Dé gids als het gaat om achtergrondinformatie en prachtige foto’s. Door het formaat en gewicht wellicht niet zo zeer om mee te nemen, als wel om thuis voor en na de reis uitgebreid te lezen. Kwalitatief van een hoog niveau! Engels Insight Guide Philippines is a comprehensive, full-colour travel guide that provides an essential introduction to... Read more
- Vogelgids A Guide to the Birds of the Philippines | Oxford University Press
- A Guide to the Birds of the Philippines is the first and only guide that covers all 572 species of birds known to occur within the 7,100 islands that make up the Philippines. The Philippine avifauna includes some 170 endemics - species that are not found anywhere else in the world - and is thus of interest to avid birders around the world. Many... Read more
- Reisgids Philippines Travel Guide (Engels) - Filipijnen | Jens Peeters
- The Philippines Travel Guide includes - a varied selection of pre-planned travel routes and useful information on transportation - loads of good-value accommodation (the best for the money) - selected local and international restaurants - comprehensive language chapter (Filipino and Cebuano) - illustrated sections on flora, fauna and culture -... Read more
- Reisgids Philippines - Filipijnen | Lonely Planet
- De perfecte reisgids voor zowel de georganiseerde als de zelfstandige reiziger. Naast een algemene inleiding van het land / streek vol met praktische informatie over hoe je er het beste kunt reizen: slapen, eten, vervoer, excursies ... alles kun je er in vinden. Engelstalig. Lonely Planet Lonely Planet Philippines is your passport to the most... Read more
- Reisgids Philippines - Filipijnen | Rough Guides
- Zeer goede reisgids voor zowel de georganiseerde maar vooral voor de zelfstandige reiziger. Boordevol informatie over reizen, slapen, eten, maar ook musea en cultuur. Uitputtende bron van informatie, veelal nog completer dan de Lonely Planet. Inleidende informatie over land en cultuur is zeer goed. The Rough Guide to The Philippines is the... Read more
- CultureShock! Philippines is a survival guide for anyone living, working or wanting to discover life in the Philippines. Settling into a foreign land is never easy, but with this book you will learn to understand the importance of amor-propio, appreciate the Filipino ways and learn about the history and culture of this diverse country. Find out... Read more
- Vogelgids A Naturalist’s Guide to the Birds of the Philippines | John Beaufoy
- Uitgebreide, rijk geïllustreerde vogelgids van de Filipijnen op handig reisformaat. Deel algemene informatie over ecosystemen, klimaat etc. Uitgebreide beschrijvingen met foto's en lijst met soorten per regio. Handig en uitgebreid naslagwerk. This easy-to-use identification guide to the 280 bird species most commonly seen in the Philippines is... Read more
- Lonely Planet Rice Trails
- Rice is the world's most important food (in calories consumed it's number one) but also the most beautiful. Whether it's dropping down a hillside in the Philippines, China or Indonesia, each step a little masterpiece of artistic perfection, or sweeping across laser-leveled 'bays' in pancake-flat Australia, it's always stunning. Every step from... Read more