- Name Wicklow Way (WW)
- Length of trail 129 km, 80 miles
- Length in days 6 days
- Start of trail Marley Park, Rathfarnham in South Dublin
- End of trail Clonegal
- Traildino grading MW, Moderate walk, backpacking trail
- Hut tour grading T1, Walk
Wicklow Way, Dublin - Clonegal, 129 km, 6 days
The Wicklow mountains run southward from Dublin into county Wexford. Starting as desolate heath- and moorland, rising up to 900 m, they gradually become more gentle. On a clear day one will have good views over the patched farmland below and the Irish Sea beyond. In many places, the hills have been replanted with conifers, which may be regarded as dull, but the new forests create their own atmosphere. Still further south, the woods give way to farmland.
Glendalough monastery, a historic highlight, is right on the trail. Be very early to fully enjoy it's mystical graveyard.
Clonegal is the end of the Wicklow Way, but not the end of the Wicklow Mountains. The South Leinster Way is the next path in the queue, and actually you can follow long distance trails all the way to Kerry and the Atlantic. We are speaking of the E8 and the Irish Coast to Coast Walk.
The Wicklow Way is Ireland's first long distance path and continues to be popular, facilitated of course by the proximity of the countries capital, Dublin. In the hills, accommodation is scarce, however, and you may prefer to carry a tent or book accommodation timely. When booking via a travel agency, ask them to arrange to pick you up from the trail and bring you back next day. The path is easy. The frequent use of forest roads is a bit boring. The southern part uses small roads in many places. The waymarking is excellent, and guides and maps are sold in the Dublin bookstores.
- Henk Nouws August 2016
- Rate 7
- Positive The hills just below Dublin were very scenic. Trail is well marked.
- Negative Quite some road walking. There is no right-of-way, like in England. Often you will be wondering why you are walking on such a wide forest road instead of in the field.
- Leo Moons
- Rate 8
- Oranginas, hiking trails Europe March 1998
- Rate 7
- Positive A patchwork of many different landscape types. Some truly remote upland areas.
- Negative Rain...
- Wicklow Way
- Wicklow Way, a 132-km (82 mile) trail from Marley Park on the outskirts of Dublin to Clonegal, in an A5, spiral bound, waterproof guide from Rucksack Readers with contoured mapping at 1:100,000, detailed route descriptions and general information.The 64-page guide provides general advice on planning accommodation, Glendalough’s Monastic City,... Read more
- Also available from:
- The Book Depository, United Kingdom
- De Zwerver, Netherlands
- The Wicklow Way
- Wicklow Way, a 132-km (82 mile) trail from Marley Park on the outskirts of Dublin to Clonegal, in an A5, spiral bound, waterproof guide from Rucksack Readers with contoured mapping at 1:100,000, detailed route descriptions and general information.The 64-page guide provides general advice on planning accommodation, Glendalough Read more
- Wandelgids Wicklow Way | Rucksack Readers
- Uitgevoerd in de vorm van een klapper, met ringband geeft deze gids een goede beschrijving van de lange afstands route. De kaarten zijn schetsmatig maar wel duidelijk. The Wicklow Way is Ireland's first and most popular Waymarked Way, running between Marlay Park (Dublin) and Clonegal, 82 miles (132 km) to the south. It offers varied and scenic... Read more
- Dublin Mountains (25K)
- Dublin Mountains at 1:25,000 on a double-sided, detailed, GPS compatible map from EastWest Mapping, printed on light, waterproof and tear-resistant paper. Contours at 10m intervals are enhanced by altitude colouring and graphics showing scree, peat bogs, marshland, gorse, different types of woodlands, cultivated areas, etc.The map shows the... Read more
- Ireland: EastWest Mapping Hiking Maps of the Wicklow Mountains
- Wicklow Mountains, including the Dublin Mountains on the outskirts of the capital, on detailed, GPS compatible maps at 1:30,000 or 1:25,000 from EastWest Mapping, printed on light, waterproof and tear-resistant plastic paper.The maps have contours at 20m or 10m intervals, enhanced by altitude colouring and graphics showing scree, peat bogs,... Read more
- The Wicklow Way Self Guided Walking Tour
- A 7-10 Day walking tour on Ireland's oldest waymarked trail, the Wicklow Way, including a stay in Dublin. The Wicklow Way is Ireland’s oldest way-marked trail, pioneered by famous hill walker, J.B. Malone. This popular walk stretches from just south of Dublin, through the Wicklow Mountains and on to County Carlow, to reveal some of the most... Read more