- Name Krijtlandpad (SP7)
- Length of trail 90 km, 56 miles
- Length in days 5 days
- Start of trail Maastricht
- End of trail Maastricht
- Traildino grading EW, Easy walk, nature trail
The southernmost tip of The Netherlands is different from all the rest. It's hilly here, up to 300 m. The land does not consist of sand, clay or peat, like anywhere else in The Netherlands, but of limestone. Hence "Krijtland", Limestone country. Extensive forests cover the slopes of these hills. The heights are shaped as flat and open plateaus of farmland and pasture. The valleys are narrow and moist.
What strikes the stranger, when observing this Dutch mountain scenery? That again it is so very orderly and trim. Attempts have been made to preserve the small scale of traditional agriculture. Hedges and rows of trees have been saved or even restored. The old orchards disappeared centuries ago. Fields are neatly fitted in. In the beautiful valleys of the rivers Geul and Gulp, the landscape sometimes is a bit more loosely organised.
This wonderful country is popular with walkers, and this is not a recent development, but something of the past 100 years. The region is set to tourists, and food and accommodation are abundant. If you're lucky with the weather, you can look forward to a splendid four days walk. And why not use the fifth day for shopping in Maastricht? (HN)
- Verslagen van mijn wandelingen. De GR5 ,Cape Wrath Trail, Kungsleden. April 2013
- Rate 7
- Positive Veel mogelijkheden om te overnachten langs de trail. De wandeling is makkelijk in te delen in kortere of langere dagetappes.
- Negative Het Limburgse heuvelland is erg toeristisch, vooral in de zomermaanden wat het erg druk maakt tijdens de wandeling.
- Pantalaimon October 2011
- Rate 8
- Positive Another trail which shows an unusual part of the Netherlands: hills. A lot of history and nature alongside the trail. Also more than enough campings, some on very nice places.
- Joke ter Weele April 2011
- Rate 9
- Positive Good trail across lovely hills and valleys
- Negative Can get busy in parts
- Henk Nouws June 2010
- Rate 9
- Positive Very good scenery. Good catering.
- Negative Part south of Maastricht was not very interesting.