- Name Pieterpad (LAW9)
- Length of trail 492 km, 306 miles
- Length in days 25 days
- Start of trail Pieterburen
- End of trail St. Pietersberg (Maastricht)
- Traildino grading LW, Light walk, countryside walk
LAW9, Pieterpad: Pieterburen - St.Pietersberg, 492 km
World famous in the Netherlands, the Pieterpad is the ideal trail to walk if you like to meet up with other hikers. On any other Dutch hiking trail you might wonder whether a living soul ever sets foot on it. Being the country's most popular trail however, the Pieterpad is frequented by scores of hikers.
Known also as LAW 9, the Pieterpad starts up north in the coastal village of Pieterburen, and takes you right across the Netherlands to its southernmost tip and only mountain, the Sint Pietersberg (110 m high). The first days you will enjoy a wide expanse of flat open fields. The middle part crosses the rather lonesome forests of Drenthe and Overijssel. The last part leads through the hill country of the southern province of Limburg.
The trail is designed in a way that after each leg of about 20 km one will find a village with accommodation and public transport. This adds to the popularity of the trail. Most hikers will walk a few days in one go, starting from where they finished the year before, and leaving the remainder of the trail for the years to come. (HN)
- ZoradeRuig December 2015
- Rate 9
- Positive Al the different nature and villages in Holland.
- Negative Nothing.
- dirkpieter June 1997
- Rate 8
- Positive Many national or nature parks are crossed bij het pieterpad.
- Negative Sometimes a lot of urban area's
- Verslagen van mijn wandelingen over de GR5 en de Cape Wrath Trail. March 2012
- Rate 6
- Positive De route boekjes waren goed, mits je de laatste versie hebt.
- Negative Te veel kilometers over asfalt. De wandeling gaat niet geheel over Nederlands grondgebied. De route is niet overal evengoed bewegwijzerd, zo is bij route wijzigingen de oude bewegwijzering niet consequent verwijderd.
- Joke ter Weele
- Rate 7
- Positive The southernmost sections in the province of Limburg
- Negative Some parts have too much asphalt
- Henk Nouws April 2006
- Rate 6
- Positive Meeting other hikers.
- Negative Too many roads. The original path was laid out over small country roads, but over the years these roads were asphalted.
- Wandelgids 9-1 LAW Pieterpad deel 1 noord | Wandelnet
- Routegids met gedetailleerde topografische kaarten waar de route duidelijk op ingetekend is. Daarnaast alle noodzakelijke informatie als openbaar vervoer en overnachtingsadressen. Pieterburen-Vorden, lengte : 233 km Het beroemdste pad van Nederland voert van 'top tot teen'. Het begint aan de Groninger Waddenkust en gaat via het terpenlandschap... Read more
- Wandelgids 9-2 LAW Pieterpad deel 2 zuid | Wandelnet
- Routegids met gedetailleerde topografische kaarten waar de route duidelijk op ingetekend is. Daarnaast alle noodzakelijke informatie als openbaar vervoer. Vorden-Sint Pietersberg, lengte : 257 km. Het Pieterpad is de bekendste wandelroute van Nederland en is bijna 500 km lang. Dit tweede deel van de route Pieterburen - Sint Pietersberg loopt... Read more
- liedie coetzee 2017-05-17 15:32:32
- What time of the year is the best time to hike the Pieterpad and when is the chance of encountering less rain? Is it an organized route or can we do our own accommodation reservations? Your input will be of great help.
- Henk Nouws 2017-05-17 16:10:42
- Any time of the year. Rain can happen always. wintertime is a bit grim though. Finding accommodation should be easy: small hotels and bed&breakfasts can be found at regular intervals. Or jump on a bus of train. Good choice, this trail.
- Grace McKenna 2016-12-31 05:36:22
- Hi, I am Grace from Australia and I am hoping to walk the Pieterpad sections from Groningen to Coevorden in March, but it all depends on the accommodation costs along the route. Is there any free accommodation on the route, perhaps from walking club members, or some very cheap accommodation? I only need somewhere to sleep each night. I am a member of a Bushwalking Club in Australia.
Many thanks for any assistance,
- Joke ter Weele 2017-01-01 14:36:06
- Hi Grace,
Finding free accommodation will be hard, and March will be too cold for camping. There are B&B's along the way, and you could try the website vriendenopdefiets.nl for cheap options especially for bikers and hikers.
- WalczakMarcin 2016-06-08 00:00:06
filming while cycling the Pieterpad
- Hi everyone,
My name is Marcin and I am coming to Netherlands for the first time in my life. In about couple of months I am going to Netherlands to film part of the documentary about two females running length of the Pieterpad (500 kilometers over 5 days). They're doing it for charity but one of the outcomes of this event and their running passion is to make a short documentary. We are aiming to record big chunks of this film from a trailer attached to bike. I am looking for any advise on bikes and how to manage this route.
- Henk Nouws 2016-06-08 08:16:07
- Hi Marcin. In many parts of this trail cyclists and walkers have seperate lanes. Cyclists often do not have permission to go on walking trails. You may run into this problem. Maybe for this single occassion, you will get away with it. If you need to know beforehand what traffic is allowed on the trail, you can best view the gpx track in OpenStreetMap. OSM shows what traffic is allowed on a path.