Starting in Nord-Helgeland and heading north, a succession of wild and remote mountain ranges are passed: Okstindan, Saltfjellet, Sulitjelmafjellene. From Sulitjelma you can pick up Nordkalottleden, leading you through extensive nature area's in both Norway, Sweden and Finland, up to Kautokeino in Norwegian Lapland.
So, if you like long long distances, Nord-Helgeland is a name to remember. We are in north Norway now, and Oslo is far away. Mo i Rana is the nearest town.
In Nord-Helgeland, north Norway's highest mountain is situated, Oksskolten (1915 m). With many other high mountains above 1500 m, this is the remote Okstindan massif. Icefields are stretched out between these rounded and barren humps. The Okstindan mountain area is the main hiking destination for Nord-Helgeland. Four huts can be found here on relatively short distances, and hikers tend to use them to climb the different mountains.
Further north are the mountains and plateaus of Rana, and another four huts and a few shelters with cairned trails in between them can be found, to help you to explore this area.
The wilderness continues on the Swedish side of the border, where you can find a large nature reserve: Vindelfjällens Naturreservat. In this park, in the little village of Hemavan, starts (or ends) the well known Kungsleden, the 400 km long trail leading through Swedish Lapland.
- Rana Nordeca 10120
- Map No. 10120, Rana, in the new topographic survey of Norway at 1:50,000 covering the country on 195 double-sided sheets and first published by Nordeca in 2011 - 2012; fully GPS compatible, indicating waymarked footpaths, campsites, tourist huts, illuminated ski runs, etc.The maps, now published by Nordeca, the successors to Statens Kartverk... Read more
- Rana East Nordeca 2615
- Rana East area in Norway in a series of GPS compatible recreational maps at 1:50,000 with cartography from Norway’s topographic survey and additional tourist information. Contours lines are drawn at 20m intervals. The overprint varies from title to title, but includes local footpaths, in some cases distinguishing between easy and more difficult... Read more
- Rana West Nordeca 2617
- Rana West area in Norway in a series of GPS compatible recreational maps at 1:50,000 with cartography from Norway’s topographic survey and additional tourist information. Contours lines are drawn at 20m intervals. The overprint varies from title to title, but includes local footpaths, in some cases distinguishing between easy and more difficult... Read more
- Wandelkaart - Topografische kaart 10120 Norge Serien Rana | Nordeca
- Een compleet nieuwe serie topografische kaarten voor Noorwegen 1:50 000. Het heeft een moderne cartografie, ontwikkeld voor het actieve buitenleven. Deze kaarten zijn ideaal voor wandel-en recreatief gebruik in de bergen, bossen, langs de kust en voor de jacht en de visserij. Voor professionele organisaties bieden de kaarten de nodige kennis... Read more