Landlocked in Central Europe, Serbia does not offer the breathtaking landscapes of some of its neighbours. Nevertheless, it does share with them several considerable mountain ranges, such as the Dinaric Alps, the Rhodope mountains, the Carpathians, and the Balkan range. In the north of Serbia is the Panonian Basin, Vojvodina, relatively flat with some interesting wetlands. The southern part of the country is the most mountainous. Remote valleys and dense forests abound, hiding Orthodox monasteries and isolated villages. Villages and fields are interspersed with large forested areas. Bear, Lynx and Wolf are common in the remote parts. The higher open parts of the mountains are used as summer pasture.
Rural life in Serbia – traditional, small plots, mixed - may be one of the reasons you want to visit this country. In the West of Europe, this life is gone, but in a country like Serbia, it is common. People are welcoming and will help you. Although most of the inhabitants, some 85%, are ethnic Serbs, you will find many other mixed ethnic communities, eager to get into contact with you.
Serbia has five National Parks, and more than thirty nature reserves and protected landscapes, many of which have marked hiking trails, hotels and mountain huts. The majority are day hikes, but you can combine them into multi-day hikes. The quality of the markings may vary from one place to another. The system used is a red circle / white spot, painted on trees and rocks. Maps are not easy to find, but do exist. Best chances are in the hotels and tourist centres in the national parks.
Marked long distance hiking trails are set out in the northern Fruska Gora National Park, which borders on the Danube river. Another hiking option is Stara Planina in the east, harbouring the spectacular Midzor peak (2169m) which, on a clear day, offers views all the way into Bulgaria, Macedonia and Kosovo. For a more pastoral experience try the eastern Homolje range. The roughest mountains and trails are in the west of Serbia, in Kopaonik and Tara for instance.
Travelling to even the remotest parts of the country is easy and cheap with the extensive and reliable bus network.
An exiting new development is the continuation of the E-paths in Serbia. The E4 and E7 are currently being created in the south respectively north, and when finished they will offer thousands of kilometres of unique hiking experience. Contact the Serbian Mountain Organisation, or Planinarski Savez Srbije, and they can send you information and even maps!
The northern basin gets very hot and humid in summer. In the mountainous areas in the southwest summer and autumn are also hot but dry, with more influences from the Mediterranean. Winter brings lots of snow at inland higher elevations, lasting well into spring. Best time for hiking are spring in the northern basin, and summer and autumn up in the mountains.
- Danube Cycle Route Part 4: Budapest - Belgrade (570km) Bikeline Map/Guide ENGLISH Ed.
- The Danube Cycle Route Part 4– the fourth, 570-km long section from Budapest via Osijek in Croatia to Belgrade – in an English language edition of Verlag Esterbauers’ Bikeline series, with detailed mapping at 1:75,000 highlighting the route and its variants, street plans for main cities, and extensive information conveyed by symbols indicating... Read more
- Also available from:
- Bol.com, Netherlands
- Danube Bike Trail 4 Cycling Guide Budapest to Belgrade
- Travel & Languages Reference Atlases International Books Read more
- Danube Cycle Route Part 5: Belgrade - Black Sea (1400km) Bikeline Map/Guide ENGLISH Ed.
- The Danube Cycle Route Part 5 – the fifth, 1400-km long section from Belgrade to the Black Sea – in an English language edition of Verlag Esterbauers’ Bikeline series. Coverage includes alternative routes along the Bulgarian or the Romanian side of the river, plus a variant within Romania via Constanta to the Danube Delta. The guide provides... Read more
- The Luck of Thirteen. Wanderings and Flight Through Montenego and Serbia.
- Travel & Languages More Travel & Languages More International Books Read more
- Reisgids Culture Smart! Serbia - | Kuperard
- De Cultuur Bewust!-gids geeft toeristen en zakenlieden belangrijke informatie met betrekking tot de cultuur van alledag in het land van bestemming. Anders dan in de gebruikelijke reisgidsen wordt de lezer in deze reeks bijgespijkerd op het gebied van omgangsvormen, normen en waarden, hoe zich te gedragen en wat verwacht mag worden op zakelijk... Read more
- Reisgids Eyewitness Travel Serbia - Servië | DK
- Prachtig geillustreerde reisgids met o.a. 3D tekeningen, fraaie kaarten en geweldige foto’s. Daarnaast uitgebreide achtergrondbeschrijvingen. Echt om in de stemming te komen! Groot formaat gids. Engelstalig. The DK Eyewitness Travel Guide Serbia shows you what others only tell you. DK will lead you straight to the best things to see in Serbia.... Read more
- Reisgids Serbia - Servië | Bradt
- Voor vele landen net zo goed, zo niet beter dan de Planet. Beduidend soberder uitgevoerd, maar ook met veel informatie voor backpackers en met veel kaartmateriaal. Een aanrader! This new, thoroughly updated fifth edition of Bradt's Serbia remains the most acclaimed guide available to a country which in recent years has welcomed an increasing... Read more
- Europe Children`s Placemat
- This is a colourful and resistant placemat by Little Wigwam, featuring a political map of Europe with capitals and major cities. All the information is up-to-date and includes Serbia, Kosovo and Montenegro. The seas are named, lines of longitude and latitude are shown at 15 degree intervals, the Arctic Circle is marked and the mat features a... Read more
- EuroVelo Route 6: The Danube from Budapest to the Black Sea (8-map set)
- The Danube Cycle Route from Budapest to Constanta on the Black Sea coast of Romania, part of the EuroVelo 6, in set of eight compact maps at 1:100,000 from Huber Verlag. The main route and its variants or local detours are clearly highlighted to distinguish them from the surrounding roads, with the overprint indicating stretches on poor or... Read more
- kah meed 2018-01-11 03:48:14
How to pass IELTS/PTE in Australia,the key to pass in IELTS exams (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Buy original database Verifiable IELTS certificates online in India, UAE canada,and Pakistan without sitting for the ExamsIf you want to travel, study or work abroad, get our,TOEIC,TIEP NEBOSH, IELTS, TOEFL, ESOL, GMAT, CERTIFICATES Without Attending Exam.in Pakistan, passports, visa, driver license, ID card,, Asia, Europe, Italy, Indian, and UK contact