- Name Chilkoot Trail
- Length of trail 53 km, 33 miles
- Length in days 5 days
- Start of trail Dyea, Alaska
- End of trail Bennett, Columbia
- Traildino grading SW, Strenuous walk, mountain trail
- Hut tour grading T2, Mountain walk
Dyea, Alaska - Bennett, Columbia, 53 km, 33 miles, 5 days
The Chilkoot Trail is a historic mountain pass between Alaska and Canada. In the 1890's this tough route was used by people looking for gold in Yukon. The entire valley is now declared a national historic site, both on the U.S. and Canadian side of the border.
This is a serious mountain walk which will take 3 to 5 days to complete. Along the way you will have to deal with snow, rocks, mud, cold rivers, bad weather, and so on. Black bears and Grizzly bears are also here. The best - and busiest time – is from mid July to mid August, but hiking starts already early June until late September.
The popularity of this trail is based on its wildness and scenery. To control the influx of people a little, there is a permit / reservation system, allowing max 50 people per day, which is much less than back in the days of the Klondike Gold Rush. Facilities are good: campsites at regular intervals. During the summer season park rangers keep an eye on things.
- Argysh July 2008
- Rate 10
- Positive Best Trail I've walked so far. Great scenery and very diverse landscape. Flora and Faune changes daily and theres tons of history associated. Great campsites with outhouses and some of them with cabins.
- Negative Crowded. You have to use the designated camping areas.
- Chilkoot Trail/Klondike Gold Rush, AK
- Map No. 254, Chilkoot Trail/Klondike Gold Rush, AK, in an extensive series of GPS compatible, contoured hiking maps of USA’s national and state parks or forests and other popular recreational areas. Cartography based on the national topographic survey, with additional tourist information.The maps, with most titles now printed on light,... Read more
- Also available from:
- De Zwerver, Netherlands
- Bol.com, Netherlands
- Wandelkaart - Topografische kaart 254 Trails Illustrated Chilkoot Trail - Klondike Gold Rush | National Geographic
- Prachtige geplastificeerde kaart van het nationaal park. Met alle recreatieve voorzieningen als campsites, maar ook met topografische details en wandelroutes ed. Door uitgekiend kleurgebruik zeer prettig in gebruik. Scheur en watervast! This Trails Illustrated map for Chilkoot Trail / Klondike Gold Rush National Historic Park in the Alaskan... Read more