- Name West Coast Trail
- Length of trail 75 km, 47 miles
- Length in days 7 days
- Start of trail Bamfield
- End of trail Port Renfrew
- Traildino grading MW, Moderate walk, backpacking trail
- Hut tour grading T1, Walk
Bamfield - Port Renfrew, 75 km (47 miles), 7 days
France has its Tour du Mont Blanc, England its Coast to Coast Path, and so Canada has its own top trail: the West Coast Trail along the southwestern edge of Vancouver Island in British Columbia. This trail is probably the best known and one of the most popular in the country.
With a length of 75 km, this trail might seem short and easy. Forget it. It is an extremely rugged wilderness trail. A trail for those with perseverance and condition. Take your time: the average schedule for walking the entire trail is a week. Because of its popularity, many improvements have been made to tackle the most difficult passages.
What do you get? The trail follows the Pacific coast, in the Pacific Rim National Park. These troubled and reef infested waters hide dozens of shipwrecks, invisible to the eye. The trail owes its existence to the many disasters, which gave this area the name Graveyard of the Pacific. In 1906, to do something for the rescue of shipwrecked sailors, the government built the Dominion Life Saving Trail.
The trail goes through old woods, bogs, over sandy beaches and pebble beaches. There are rivers and waterfalls, caves and tidal pools. The tides of the sea pose serious risks, and you will have to carry a tide table and appropriate maps with you. Wildlife includes cougars, black bears, wolves, orcas, gray whales, seals, sea lions, and eagles. Do not be put off: before you start you must complete a mandatory orientation course and you will learn how to deal with the dangers.
At regular intervals are camping facilities. Everything else, you have to carry on your back. Hiking season is May through September.
- Erdnussflip April 2011
- Rate 10
- Positive The best hike in my life!
- Argysh May 2008
- Rate 8
- Positive feels quite remote, challenging and diversified terrain.
- Negative too many "improvements" like plank walks and ladders. Getting the Permit is quite expensive.
- Wandelgids Canada: West Coast Trail | Conrad Stein Verlag
- Über 75 Kilometer zieht sich der West Coast Trail auf Vancouver Island entlang einer einzigartigen, spektakulären Küste mit gemäßigtem Regenwald und traumhaften Stränden. Berühmt berüchtigt ist der Trail unter Trekkingfreunden aus aller Welt; zählt der West Coast Trail doch zu einer der zermürbensten Wanderrouten von Nordamerika. Häufige; lang... Read more
- Also available from:
- Bol.com, Netherlands
- West Coast Trail & Carmanah Valley ITMB
- West Coast Trail in the Pacific Rim National Park Reserve and the Carmanah Valley in the Carmanah Walbran Provincial Park on the western coast of Vancouver Island at 1:50,000 in a series of topographic survey maps of selected areas of British Columbia and the Canadian Rockies from ITMB with cartography from Canada’s national survey... Read more
- Also available from:
- De Zwerver, Netherlands
- Wandelkaart West Coast Trail & Carmanah Valley | ITMB
- Gedetailleerde kaart van deze prachtige meerdaagse wandeltocht. Met alle noodzakelijke informatie als campsites, afstanden en gevaarlijke river- of strandpassages. Onmisbaar voor diegenen die deze tocht gaan doen! This is actually completely new artwork, thanks to ITMB’s relationship with the Canadian government’s mapping office. We have... Read more