- Name Great Walks New Zealand
A special category of New Zealand tramps are the so-called nine Great Walks, of which eight are tramps and one is a paddling route.
These Great Walks are very scenic, not too difficult, and consequently very popular. During high season – from mid December until late January – they potentially get overcrowded. The Department of Conservation therefore introduced a booking scheme to manage visitor pressure. Bookings can be made online and should be made well in advance to avoid disappointment. When you plan to camp, you also must book in advance. Out of the holiday season, the changes you get on the track are better.
The huts and tracks on the Great Walks are of a higher standard than other tramping tracks. The prices also. Hut tickets range from $25 to $45 in peak season from 1 October to 30 April.
The Great Walks are, in order of their popularity:
- Abel Tasman Coast Track, 51 km, 5 days (bookings required)
- Milford Track, 54, 4 days (bookings required)
- Routeburn Track, 32 km, 3 km (bookings required)
- Kepler Track, 60 km, 4 days (bookings required)
- Heaphy Track, 78 km, 5 days (bookings required)
- Whanganui Journey - paddle, 144 km, 5 days
- Lake Waikaremoana Great Walk, 42 km, 4 days (bookings required)
- Tongariro Northern Circuit, 50 km, 4 days
- Rakiura Track, Stewart Island, 36 km, 3 days
- maureen November 1996
- Rate 10
- Positive North Island - Lake Track in the Urewera National Park, four nights in DOC huts (46 kms.). With all our food & cooking gear on our backs we took the shuttle bus from Aniwaniwa to the track entrance at Hopuruahine and walked in the anti-clockwise direction around lake Waikaremoana. We loved the freedom, the wildness, spectacular lake views, the magnificent forests. A great track for beginners.
- Negative Nothing! Go for it!
- New Zealand - The Great Walks
- *This guide is highly recommended by Stanfords and is the leading authority on exploring New Zealand’s wild landscapes.*Alexander Stewart’s New Zealand - The Great Walks is the comprehensive and leading guide for those wanting to explore the islands’ wilderness paradises and is highly recommended by Stanfords. The guide covers a range of... Read more
- Also available from:
- De Zwerver, Netherlands
- Wandelgids New Zealand The great walks | Trailblazer
- Wandelgids voor Nieuw Zeeland door Alexander Stewart. De gids valt onder de Trailblazerreeks en leidt de reiziger door een achttal dag- en lange afstandswandelingen verspreid over heel Nieuw Zeeland. De gids maakt daarbij gebruik van een veelvoud aan kaarten en geeft ook de nodige informatie voor een bezoek aan de steden onderweg. Een inleiding... Read more