- Name Great Walks New Zealand
A special category of New Zealand tramps are the so-called nine Great Walks, of which eight are tramps and one is a paddling route.
These Great Walks are very scenic, not too difficult, and consequently very popular. During high season – from mid December until late January – they potentially get overcrowded. The Department of Conservation therefore introduced a booking scheme to manage visitor pressure. Bookings can be made online and should be made well in advance to avoid disappointment. When you plan to camp, you also must book in advance. Out of the holiday season, the changes you get on the track are better.
The huts and tracks on the Great Walks are of a higher standard than other tramping tracks. The prices also. Hut tickets range from $25 to $45 in peak season from 1 October to 30 April.
The Great Walks are, in order of their popularity:
- Abel Tasman Coast Track, 51 km, 5 days (bookings required)
- Milford Track, 54, 4 days (bookings required)
- Routeburn Track, 32 km, 3 km (bookings required)
- Kepler Track, 60 km, 4 days (bookings required)
- Heaphy Track, 78 km, 5 days (bookings required)
- Whanganui Journey - paddle, 144 km, 5 days
- Lake Waikaremoana Great Walk, 42 km, 4 days (bookings required)
- Tongariro Northern Circuit, 50 km, 4 days
- Rakiura Track, Stewart Island, 36 km, 3 days