- Length of trail 4,850 km, 3,014 miles
- Length in days 250 days
- Start of trail Galway (Irl)
- End of trail Nice (F)
- Traildino grading EW, Easy walk, nature trail
North Sea – Lake Geneva – Mediterranean Sea
Trail planned to measure 4850 km, from Galway in Ireland to Nice in southern France. However the Irish portion is as yet non-existent. The trail now starts from Stranrear in Scotland, Great Britain and runs (and is waymarked) through the Netherlands/Belgium, Luxembourg and Switzerland, meandering in and out of France along the way. It ends on the French Mediterranean coast in Nice.
In Britain, after leaving the Pennine range, the trail splits into 2 alternative routes: the eastern route via Harwich, and the western route via Dover. After crossing to the continent the eastern route continues in the Netherlands, the western route in Belgium. The alternatives rejoin near the Belgian town of Zoersel.
The continental part of the E2 is almost identical to the popular GR5, the trail that connects Hoek van Holland in The Netherlands to Nice in France.
The E2 is made-up of many national trails:
- Galway will be future start
Northern Route (unofficial)
- Teesdale Way
- Cleveland way
- Yorkshire Wolds Way
- Viking Way
- Hereward Way
- Fen Rivers Way
- Icknield Way Path
- Stour Valley Path
- Essex Way
- Ferry Harwich – Hoek van Holland (Netherlands, connects to northern branch)
- Pennine Way
- Staffordshire Way
- Heart of England Way
- Oxfordshire Way
- Oxford Canal Walk
- Thames Path
- North Downs Way
- Ferry Dover – Oostende (Belgium, connects to southern branch)
Netherlands (Northern branch)
- First village is Hoek van Holland
- Deltapad (LAW 5-1), Hoek van Holland - Bergen op Zoom
- GR5, Bergen op Zoom - Essen
Southern branch, coming from United Kingdom
- First village is Oostende
- GR5a south, Oostende - Antwerpen
- Antwerpen - Deurne, Connecting trail
- GR565, Renier Sniederspad, Deurne - Zoersel,
- GR5 coming from the Netherlands, Zoersel - Diest - Luik - Luxembourg
Northern branch, coming from The Netherlands
- First village is Essen
- GR5, Essen - Ouren
- Last village is Ouren
Luxembourg (212 km)
- GR5 (red paint stops)
This could be broken down to the following paths:
- Our Path, Ouren – Diekirch. Near Hosingen, the E3 coming from the west joins the E2 / GR5
- Maurice Cosyn Path, Diekirch – Echternach
- Lower-Sûre Path, Echternach - Wasserbillig
- Moselle Path, Wasserbillig – Remerschen. Here, the E3 and E2 / GR5 are separated again
- South Path, Remerschen – Tétange / Rumelange
- Last village is Tétange / Rumelange
- Jura Höhenweg (southern tip, across Lake Geneva)
- Nice, finish
- Joke ter Weele October 2011
- Rate 8
- Positive Well marked and laid out, through lovely woodlands, valleys and villages
- Henk Nouws October 2011
- Rate 8
- Positive I walked parts in Luxembourg and France. These parts used interesting trails.
- Wandelgids GR 5 / E2 Luxemburg - Lotharingen Wandelen van Diekirch tot Schirmeck | Grote Routepaden |
- Uitstekende routegids met gedetailleerde kaarten en een routebeschrijving. Fout lopen wordt op deze manier wel erg moeilijk. Met symbolen is weergegeven welke voorzieningen (openbaar vervoer / winkels / overnachtingen) er zijn langs of bij de route. Een nadeel is dat de daadwerkelijke adressen dan weer niet genoemd worden. Deze topogids voert... Read more
- Stafford & Telford - OS Landranger Map Sheet Number 127
- Purchase the Stafford and Telford folded map: single, sided (boarded cover) from the OS Landranger Map range Read more
- Stafford and Telford
- Map No. 127, Stafford and Telford, in the Ordnance Survey Landranger series at 1:50,000, including Market Drayton, Calverhall, Ashley, Standon, Barlaston, Hilderstone, Stone, Sandon, Eccleshall, Chewardine, Adbaston, Hodnet, Childs Ercall, Edgmond, Gnosall, Woodseaves, Weston, Haughton, Newport, Crudgington, Donnington, Church Eaton, Penkridge,... Read more
- Newbury & Wantage - OS Landranger Map Sheet Number 174
- Buy Newbury and Wantage OS Landranger Map from the official Ordnance Survey Map Shop and get free delivery too. Read more
- Newbury and Wantage
- Map No. 174, Newbury and Wantage, in the Ordnance Survey Landranger series at 1:50,000 including Didcot, Cholsey, Blewbury, Chilton, Steventon, Drayton, Goosey, Sparsholt, Uffington, Watchfield, Highworth, Bourton, Ashbury, Wanborough, Lambourn, Brightwalton, Great Shefford, Compton, Aldworth, Upper Basildon, Peasemore, Welford, Aldbourne,... Read more
- Map No. 93, Middlesbrough, in the Ordnance Survey Landranger series at 1:50,000, including Darlington, Hartlepool, Stockton-on-Tees, Bishop Auckland, Spennymoor, Brandon, Wheatley Hill, Hesleden, Trimdon, Hart, Sedgefield, Greatham, Mordon, Shildon, Newton Aycliffe, Stillington, Billingham, Walworth, Piercebridge, Sadberge, Hurworth-on-Tees,... Read more
- Maidstone & Royal Tunbridge Wells - OS Landranger Map Sheet Number 188
- Purchase the Maidstone and Royal Tunbridge Wells folded map: single, sided (boarded cover) from the OS Landranger Map range Read more
- Maidstone and Royal Tunbridge Wells
- Map No. 188, Maidstone and Royal Tunbridge Wells, in the Ordnance Survey Landranger series at 1:50,000, including Sevenoaks, Tonbridge, Crowborough, Duddleswell, Rotherfield, Mayfield, Wadhurst, Ticehurst, Hurst Green, Bodiam, Sandhurst, Hawkhurst, Rolveden, Cranbook, Biddenden, Goudhurst, Horsmonden, Lamberhurst, Groombridge, Hartfield,... Read more
- Map No. 101, Scarborough, in the Ordnance Survey Landranger series at 1:50,000, including Bridlington, Carnaby, Burton Agnes, Lowthorpe, Kilham, Langtoft, Fumber, Sledmere, Wharran le Street, West Lutton, Thwing, Flamborough, Burton Flaming, Weaverthorpe, Wintringham, Wold Newton, Reighton, Hunmanby, Filey, Staxton, Sherburn, West Knapton,... Read more
- Stoke-on-Trent and Macclesfield
- Map No. 118, Stoke-on-Trent and Macclesfield, in the Ordnance Survey Landranger series at 1:50,000, including Newcastle-under-Lyme, Forsbrook, Woore, Audlem, Aston, Madeley, Betley, Hough, Nantwich, Alsager, Kidsgrove, Endon, Cheddleton, Leek, Biddulph, Crewe, Church Minshull, Elworth, Sandbach, Congleton, Middlewich, Winsford, Holmes Chapel,... Read more
- Stoke-on-Trent & Macclesfield - OS Landranger Map Sheet Number 118
- Buy Map Stoke, on, Trent and Macclesfield OS Landranger Map from the official Ordnance Survey Map Shop and get free delivery too. Read more
- Map No. 164, Oxford, in the Ordnance Survey Landranger series at 1:50,000 including Bicester, Chipping Norton, Charlbury, Witney, Woodstock, Kidlington, Abingdon, Didcot, Benson, Appleford, Drayton, Grove, Goosey, Dorchester, Burcot, Marcham, Chalgrove, Toot Baldon, Tetsworth, Fyfield, Shellingford, Littleworth, Duxford, Wootton, Cumnor,... Read more
- Colchester - OS Landranger Active Map Sheet Number 168
- Purchase the Colchester folded map: single, sided (boarded cover) from the OS Landranger Map range Read more
- Map No. 168, Colchester, in the Ordnance Survey Landranger series at 1:50,000 including Burnham-on-Crouch, Hullbridge, South Woodham Ferrers, Cock Clarks, Maylandsea, Southminster, Tillingham, Bradwell on Sea, Maldon, Tollesbury, Great Totham, Tiptree, Witham, Kelvedon, Silver End, Layer de la Haye, Marks Tey, Coggeshall, Earls Colne, Halstead,... Read more
- Ipswich and The Naze
- Map No. 169, Ipswich and the Naze, in the Ordnance Survey Landranger series at 1:50,000 including Harwich, Felixstowe, Clacton-on-Sea, Frinton-on-Sea, Walton-on-the-Naze, Brightlinsea, St. Osyth, Great Bentley, Thorpe-le-Soken, Weeley, Balls Green, Great Oakley, Wix, Manningtree, Ramsey, Brantham, Holbrook, Trimley St. Mary, Bawdsey, Kirton,... Read more
- Ipswich & The Naze - OS Landranger Active Map Sheet Number 169
- Purchase the Ipswich and The Naze folded map: single, sided (boarded cover) from the OS Landranger Map range Read more
- Grantham - OS Landranger Active Map Sheet Number 130
- Purchase the Grantham folded map: single, sided (boarded cover) from the OS Landranger Map range Read more
- Map No. 130, Grantham, in the Ordnance Survey Landranger series at 1:50,000, including Sleaford, Bourne, Market Deeping, Ryhall, Exton, Market Overton, Langham, Stretton, Little Bytham, Baston, Thurlby, Grimsthorpe, Northgate, Rippingale, Corby Glen, South Witham, Stapleford, Wymondham, Waltham on the Wolds, Colsterworth, Croxton Kerrial,... Read more
- urabin 2015-01-31 15:39:31
de Hoek van Holand à mastricht en vélo par le GR5
afin d'organiser mon parcours sur le gr5, j'aimerais sa voir si quelqu'un peut me renseigner?
J'aimerais savoir si il est possible de louer un vélo à la gare de Hoek van Holland et de le rendre quelques jours plus tard à la gare de mastricht pour ensuite continuer à pied vers Nice;
Je cherche aussi topo guide Partie hollandaise, wallonne et lux.
Merci pour vos réponse?
- Traildino 2015-01-31 16:30:03
- Oui, on peux louer un "OV-fiets" a gare A, et le rendre a gare B quelques jours plus tard. Mais attention: louer un vélo implique passer une montagne de bureaucratie. Contacter le NS bien a l'avance par e-mail ou telephone: http://www.ov-fiets.nl. Les topo guides: suivre les liens ici dessous.
- Helen Dickson 2012-03-10 15:12:50
- Does anyone know of a guide book for the Netherlands and Belgium part of the E2 please? I'm hoping to walk it in 2013.
- Henk Nouws 2012-03-11 09:47:29
- Hi Helen. If you arrive in Hoek van Holland, you will follow the Deltapad to Bergen op Zoom. There is a Dutch Guidebook with excellent maps. Then follow the GR5. Here is the guidebook for that part: http://www.groteroutepaden.be/nl/route/45/gr-5-noordzee---middelandse-zee---deel-vlaanderen.html For the Wallonian part in Belgium, check the books section in Traildino | GR5. So: three guides.
- Henk Nouws 2012-03-11 09:52:06
- If you arrive in Oostende, you will follow the GR5a South to Antwerpen. You'll find the Guide in Traildino | GR5a. Check the Description section above for the connecting trails. From Zoersel onwards, you will need the two GR5 guides listed in my answer above.
Hope this helps you out!
- aqdennis 2013-05-08 09:38:26
- Please note that since the end of 2012 the Dutch Deltapad (LAW 5-1) and the GR5 have been separated. The Deltapad goes from Hoek van Holland to Sluis on the Dutch-Belgium border, close to the coast. The GR5 coincides with the Deltapad until Goedereede where the GR5 goes inland to Bergen op Zoom.
When entering Goedereede along the canal arriving at the small bridge over the canal there is no indication that this is the point where LAW 5-1 and GR5 part. There is a red/white sign going straight ahead, but this is in fact the LAW 5-1. For the GR5 turn left, following the road towards the bus stop and the main road. Close to the bus stop there is a red/white sign, but it is not specifically indicated one's now on the GR5.