- Length of trail 1,014 km, 630 miles
- Length in days 52 days
- Start of trail Minehead
- End of trail Poole
- Traildino grading MW, Moderate walk, backpacking trail
- Hut tour grading T1, Walk
630 miles, 1014 km, 52 days
The South West Coast Path is Britain's longest National Trail. The path includes two UNESCO World Heritage sites; The Jurassic Coast plus the Cornwall and West Devon Mining Landscape.
With it's 598 miles / 962 kilometers along the South Western edge of England, this National Trail is the classic English coast walk. The trail starts in Minehead, Exmoor, runs south without loosing the sea out of sight, and ends in Poole, Dorset. As long as your legs can bear it, this means endless enjoyment of sea, high cliffs, bizarre beach resorts, huge caravan parks. And do not forget to have a chat with the people on the track, or do practise a little in some crowded pub. If you bring your own tent, you are independent.
Prepare for an abundant encounter with the sea. Old and new villages living from all the sea's has to offer.
The cliffs pose some real danger, so keep an eye on the signs. The endless climbing and descending can make even an hardy walker desperate. And again, and again you will have to cross streams, climb down all the way and climb back on the next hilltop. Keep an eye on the weather too, and cater for warm clothing and good rain gear.
The walk is possible all year round. The storms in autumn and winter hit hard on the coast, however, and will have you forget all your previous bad-weather experiences. Spring is a wonderful time, with many birds and bluebells, not many tourists, and only an occasional storm.
- Oranginas, hiking trails Europe May 2010
- Rate 9
- Positive Well marked paths, with continuously great views at the cliffs, the rocks, the beaches and the highlands. And, at the end of some hikes, arriving at an old port town with the relics of former times…….. The B&B system.
- Negative The food.
- Henk Nouws May 1998
- Rate 9
- Positive Everything. Even these enormous caravan holiday camps were fun. The coast is very rugged in places. Some days it was quiet. Other days storms blew one from the cliffs. Pretty villages and funny resorts.