- Name Mare a Mare Sud
- Length of trail 75 km, 47 miles
- Length in days 5 days
- Start of trail Porto-Pollo
- End of trail Porto-Vechia
- Traildino grading EW, Easy walk, nature trail
If you like to hike on Corsica but the GR20 is too ambitious for you, consider the easier trails Mare a Mare and Mare e Monti. These hikes are easier and in fact more varied than the high route, because they lead you along the coast, into extensive (chestnut) forests with their famous Corsican "wild" swines (EU registered), past villages, through the "maquis", and yes, also over the high mountain ridges.
Mare a Mare actually are three trails connecting east and west coast: the north trail, central trail and south trail. Each section ends in a village where usually a hotel or gîte d'étape is welcoming you.
One word on "easier": don't expect a lazy time on Corsica. This island is wild and mountainous. Summer is hot. You will be swimming, yes, if not in the Mediterranean, then at least in your own sweat.
- Leo Moons July 2009
- Rate 8
- Oranginas, long distance hiking trails Europe March 2003
- Rate 9
- Positive The trail is of an unique beauty and well marked (orange stripes). Pigs, pigs and more pigs….rivers with melting water, hidden villages, the famous maquis, the views at the snow on tops of the mountains, flowers everywhere, archaeological remains of former residents, there is so much to see…
- Negative Some Gites d’étappe are closed until April
- Also available from:
- Stanfords, United Kingdom
- Corsica Walking
- Walking in Corsica is experienced walker Gillian Price’s Cicerone guide to the best walking opportunities that are available on this picturesque island. The guide covers walks through a range of landscapes, including towering forests, isolated coves and river gorges and describes three coast-to-coast routes through the island’s mountainous... Read more
- Pim 2017-01-17 19:47:27
Camping on mare a mare sud
- Does anybody know if it is possible to put up a tent near the gites on the mare a mare sud