- Name Tra Mare e Monti
- Length of trail 135 km, 84 miles
- Length in days 9 days
- Start of trail Calenzana
- End of trail Cargese
- Traildino grading EW, Easy walk, nature trail
Tra Mare e Monti, Calenzana - Cargese, 9 days
The village of Calenzana in the north of Corsica not only is the start of the famous GR20. Also the "Tra Mare e Monti" trail sets off in this village. This trail, as the name suggests, combines sea and mountains. The first two days the trail goes through forests and mountains. Stages three and four both finish at the seaside. Then the trail turns into the mountains again, passing villages at regular intervals.
The southern path, Mare e Monti Sud, can be used to connect two other trails: Mare a Mare Sud and Mare a Mare Centre. Begin and end of the trail are at seaside resorts and in between are the mountains.
Summers are hot and less convenient for this hike. Better choose this trail in spring or autumn.
- Oranginas, long distance hiking trails Europe April 2004
- Rate 9
- Positive the Gorges de Spelunca, impressive depths and heights, bare granite walls, plunging into the foaming green torrent, caused by the convergence of the rivers, the - almost sinister - sunlight reflections, hidden villages, clambering ridges, a walk on the beach; those deep blue Mediterranean views, the broom, the fig-trees, the olives and at the end the masterpiece of nature: Scandola!
- Negative More and more French entrepreneurs open their accommodation (too) late in the season.
- Also available from:
- Stanfords, United Kingdom
- Corsica Walking
- Walking in Corsica is experienced walker Gillian Price’s Cicerone guide to the best walking opportunities that are available on this picturesque island. The guide covers walks through a range of landscapes, including towering forests, isolated coves and river gorges and describes three coast-to-coast routes through the island’s mountainous... Read more
- Corsica: Mountain Trails to the Sea
- Central Corsica to the west coast. The French Mediterranean island of Corsica has an incredibly untamed and magnificent mountainous interior. Immerse yourself in this rugged scenery before walking all the way to the exceedingly picturesque west coast through river gorges, past natural pools and lakes and to the Calanches de Piana. Even though... Read more