- Name Great South West Walk (GSWW)
- Length of trail 224 km, 139 miles
- Length in days 16 days
- Start of trail Portland
- End of trail Nelson
- Traildino grading MW, Moderate walk, backpacking trail
- Hut tour grading T1, Walk
224 km, 16 days
They call it 'nature's own symphony in four movements'. The four natural environments being the forest, the pristine river, the white sandy bays and the rugged capes. The trail loops 224-247 km (depending on whether you take any ferries) between Portland and Nelson, West of Melbourne, southern tip of Victoria. There are 16 camp sites, 10-20 km apart. The trail is an easy hike for most.
- bigkev November 2005
- Rate 7
- Positive Well marked easy track, good facilities at campsites, Good introduction to long walks in Australia
- Negative Beach section can be very soft, forest section can get a bit monotonous.